Laptop power management support

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Fri Nov 12 02:35:02 CST 2004

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> I've been doing some work on power management support. Note that this is
> all highly experimental, so proceed with caution. It may eat your disks.

YAY! Suspending!

> Various machines refuse to resume from suspend to RAM, for reasons that
> are currently entirely unclear. If your machine hangs with a blank
> screen or simply reboots, then there's not a lot we can do right at the
> moment (though in the former case, there is some further debugging which
> can be carried out)
>
> It's entirely possible that the laptop will resume but you won't have
> any video support. Again, follow up with some hardware information.

Ok, i've had 3 types of results with resuming and suspending so far:
- on the first go, susped worked. Resume failed with messed up X.
- Second go was on the D-Port, which failed to even suspend.
- Then i tried without D-Port again and failed to resume. (some boot
messages)
- And ofcourse i've run across resume failing with blank screen (with
debug, the last message is about bringing up the NIC)

This was all with Dell Latitude D600. I'll do some more testing and
include logs later on.

At the moment i'm rather curious wether the problem with D-Port is with
the communications. Audio behaves oddly in linux when i use it through
the D-Port and USB acts a bit funny sometimes.

-- Sami