anacron

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Nov 11 12:21:15 CST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 06:06:35PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> I disagree, all of the bugs you quote are over 3 years old -- the lack
> of any recent bugs encourages me.  The software has been tested and the
> bugs eradicated, or at least never reproduced except on the submitter's
> system.

Yes, but some of them were closed because the user was told not to use
anacron on systems which are up continuously, and they quit using it (and so
could not reproduce the bug anymore).

Have you (or anyone else following this thread) used anacron on a
24/7 system for a reasonable period of time (some months) without
experiencing any problems?

> I think it's a sensible default for both desktops and laptops, which are
> both quite often powered down.  We have things like lvm in the default
> install despite their non-use for desktops and laptops, we should have
> things like anacron in the default install despite their non-use for
> servers.

LVM and similar tools are part of Base due to their applicability to server
and recovery tasks.  anacron is something to consider for Desktop, and not
Base.

--
 - mdz