anacron

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Nov 11 11:55:14 CST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:42:54PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 09:26 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:17:05PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> >
> > > All anacron does is ensure daily, weekly and monthly jobs (scripts in
> > > the /etc/cron.*.d directories) get run if more than a day, week or month
> > > has passed since they were last run.
> >
> > Does anacron ensure that these jobs are not run more than once per day,
> > week or month?
> >
> Yes, it only considers each job once ... so even if 8 days have past it
> only runs daily once.

The CW I heard in the past was that anacron was not a good idea for systems
which actually _are_ up 24/7, because it would fail to run jobs and/or run
them multiple times.

That would make it an undesirable default for Ubuntu.  These bugs may have
been fixed, but they have existed in the past, and possibly anacron has not
been as well-tested in such environments.

e.g.:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=65785&archive=yes
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=81603&archive=yes
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=88267&archive=yes