Hardware Database

Thom May thom at canonical.com
Wed Nov 10 12:12:53 CST 2004

Many people are talking about things that seem to boil down to a Hardware Database:
(otherwise known, variously, as ZDHW and a subproject of TRLS).

A while ago, I wrote this on the sounders list:

"""
Where I'd like to go with laptop detect:

At the moment, we're making an educated best guess at whether you're an a
laptop, and making certain assumptions based on that.
We can't currently guess whether acpi works, and we could do a lot better
with stuff like turning ifplugd on etc.
What we can do, however, is put together a nicely minimal app that can ask
some questions, and report those answers and a whole slew of hardware
details back to a central db/web site. This way, we can build a database of
what we can expect to do on each and every laptop, and customise our install
a bit more based on that data.
Thoughts?
-Thom
"""

Oli is going to write some of this up on the wiki later, but I'd just like
to draw the various threads that have been mentioning this idea into one,
here.
-Thom

--
That sounds like a lot of work... Can we out source?
The Revolution will not be outsourced!