Making AltGr work on powerpc notebooks

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Tue Nov 9 07:32:33 CST 2004

Hi again!

Martin Pitt [2004-11-09 14:12 +0100]:
> Carlos Perelló Marín [2004-11-09 13:00 +0100]:
> > That's not completely true. The Spanish keymap (and I think the UK one
> > also) have the AltGr key mapped as Fn + alt and I suppose others work
> > equal (I don't remember the countries, but I know that several European
> > GNOME hackers use it also that way).
>
> I just tried that out. But with Fn+Alt I can only reach some
> characters (@, | and ~), all the brackets and the \ are missing.
>
> BTW, after fixing #958 (mac text console key mapping), I have exactly
> the same behavior at the consoles. Fn+Alt produces the keycode '100'
> (which is indeed AltGr), and the new keymaps correcly assign AltGr to
> it. 125 (Command key) is also assigned to 'AltGr'.
>
> So Apple and Fn+Alt are both mapped to AltGr, but the Command key
> produces correct results, while but the Fn+Alt key doesn't.

/me slaps his head

I found out the reason why this cannot work: Fn+6, Fn+0 and so on
are for emulating the numeric keypad. So Fn+Alt+0 is _not_ the same as
AltGr+0 (which should produce a backslash), but instead it is Alt+/
(Fn+0 is / on the numeric keypad).

Third-level keys which are not on the numeric keypad work fine with
Fn+Alt.

IMHO it would make more sense to interpret Fn+Alt+0 as (Fn+Alt)+0
instead as Alt+(Fn+0), as it is done now. Fabio, is that possible in
the X keymaps?

Thanks,

Martin

--