Doing Debian package maintenance under Warty

Christoph Haas email at christoph-haas.de
Sun Nov 7 16:09:20 CST 2004

Hi, Matt...

> > As all "27 official Ubuntu maintainers" (if that information is still
> > correct)
>
> That information is not (nor has it ever been) correct.  The press seem to
> get this wrong without exception.

I'm still a bit confused about the staff working on Ubuntu, too. All I
know is that Mark has initiated the project and has picked a number of
DDs to found 'Canonical'. On #ubuntu-devel I have already seem some
familiar names. :) Is the package work limited to Canonical? I don't
mind not having formally defined who is doing exactly what. Debian's
bureaucracy isn't doing a good job there either.

Currently I'm supporting the Documentation Team. So I am not really in
the eye of the storm where I would experience what work is really done
by whom (except by the teams mentioned in the Wikis). I am just
collecting the bits and pieces to get a clearer picture.

> What do you find to be lacking in Ubuntu?

Nothing really. Honestly. :) I would like to use Ubuntu for all my
needs. I just wondered if I still can dpkg-buildpackage without
problems. I'm not completely sure how much different both distributions
are. I don't really need Sid for anything but building binary packages.

As I'm currently waiting for DAM approval (yawn) and like to continue
contributing to Debian I don't consider dropping Debian completely and
only supporting Ubuntu. My preferred way would be to keep on maintaining
Debian packages that would get moved to Ubuntu anyway. And then rather
support Ubuntu directly wherever help is needed. (If I got it right
there is no such thing as an NM process in Ubuntu. And it's not even
considered to have packages uploaded directly either. But I may be wrong
here.) As long as Ubuntu is Debian-derived this sounds reasonable to me.
(Perhaps in 2050 Ubuntu will be the only distribution left and all DDs
and MCSEs have migrated. Then I would probably take the burden of the
Ubuntu NM process again. ;) )

Sorry that my post turned out to be more philosophical than just
"do I need a second Sid partition".

Cheers
 Christoph

--