Java (Re: Since ubuntu is pushing python, a good python IDE should be available)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sat Nov 6 13:11:14 CST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 04:11:11AM -0200, Fábio Mendes wrote:

> The hard part here would be convince sun that we can distribute the Java
> machine. Packing a eclipse plugin is easy since all is needed is copy the
> right files to eclipse dir.

I remember reading about Eclipse being able to be built with recent gcj; is
that still true?

> Has anyone at Canonical tried to contact them regarding this issue (maybe
> an open letter to sun)? We don't need source level access to the java
> machine (although it would fit the project ideals nicely :-), but it would
> definitivaly be a plus if it was possible to ship java in a default ubuntu
> installation.

The default Ubuntu installation will only include software meeting the
Ubuntu License Policy, with an exception for certain drivers necessary in
order to allow users to install and use Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/licensing/

It would be a stronger step forward, I think, if we were to work on tightly
integrating one of the free Java runtime environments.

--
 - mdz