Thoughts about separating language packs

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Fri Nov 5 05:16:31 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 13:15 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:

> The goal is to separate all translation and localization parts from
> all packages to "language packs". Per supported language we want to
> have one package which contains l10n stuff for all Ubuntu supported
> packages.

What happens when the user builds a package from source themselves?
Should the translations in their source package be thrown away in favour
of the language pack, if not how do we resolve the "Replaces:
language-pack" issue?

> We currently have 1047 source packages, but as much as 265 do not use
> debhelper. Although a debhelper hook would be easier, it would miss
> about a quarter of our source packages, which is not acceptable.

Where do you get that quarter figure from?  By my quick
finger-in-the-air guess, nearly all of the packages in main use
debhelper.

> Therefore, dpkg-deb must be modified, preferably in a general way so
> that it could go to Debian, too. dpkg-dev should introduce a directory
>
>   /etc/dpkg/dpkg-deb-hook.d/

I utterly disagree.  I've rejected features like this for dpkg before,
and will continue to do so.  I don't believe package managers should be
arbitrarily extendable like this, instead I believe they should be
completely predictable.

If you want certain files to not be placed in the package, you take them
out (or don't put them in) in debian/rules.  Either add a call to
something that extracts the translations, or modify debhelper and
friends to do the extraction for you.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?