Ubuntu installer.

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Thu Nov 4 19:10:17 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:16:49PM EST, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 04:54:45PM +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> > What files need to be modified in order to change what packages are
> > installed during the installation?
>
> /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/warty (etc.) for the first stage;
> /usr/lib/base-config/menu/pkgsel for the second stage.

I had no problem finding what I needed, and subsequently worked out what
needed modifying.

> > If the installer needs to be rebuilt to do this, where can I get a
> > copy of the Ubuntu installer sources?
>
> The Ubuntu installer is made up of lots of source packages, all of which
> are available in the Ubuntu archive in the normal way. I'm afraid
> there's no easy way to get all of them in one shot.
>
> However, neither changing debootstrap nor changing base-config requires
> a full installer (i.e. initrd) rebuild; you just need to drop a new
> .udeb or .deb onto the disk and update the various index files to match.

Ok, it turns out that I do need to build a new initrd, purely because I
am including a modified kernel, so I need to put the needed kernel
modules into the initrd.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Luke