Thoughts about separating language packs

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Thu Nov 4 18:22:05 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 16:01 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

Hi, I'm late to this discussion (I didn't saw it was started, sorry).

[...]

> > >   We wouldn't want a security update to cause some language support to
> > >   disappear, for a package which hadn't yet been built with the modified
> > >   build environment
> >
> > Most security updates certainly won't touch translations, but if they
> > do, then we really have a problem.
>
> Right, they won't; the condition was that the package had not yet been built
> with the language-pack-enabled build environment.  But given your plan of
> rebuilding everything, that is a moot point.

You should take care that some security updates could be to fix a broken
translation (not sure if that will count as a security update or just a
bug fix).

I have seen bugs in .po files that breaks the application because an
error from the translator that forgot a "%s", he put a "%s" where it
should be a "%d" or an extra "%s" that is not handled by the printf like
function.

If that could be taken as a security bug, will we upgrade that language
package?

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín