User Interface

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Wed Nov 3 03:12:08 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 12:28 -0800, Joe Crawford wrote:
> My name is Joe Crawford, owner of Joetainment. I'm involved in a
> couple open source projects, (mostly k3d, the 3d animation program,
> for which I am designing the next gen user interface).
>
> My expertise is in user interfaces. (Designing things to be user
> friendly, not coding, though I do a little coding.) I have a lot of
> experience working with and teaching computer users, and often
> computer beginers. We have developed the Celestine Software
> Collection, a collection of open source software for windows with a
> friendly user interface.
>
> I can be of great use in helping ubuntu become more user friendly
> (Though I think its already doing great so far). I would like to help
> with developent.
>
> I have many ideas already, some of which I've already implemented in
> the way of shell scripts.
>
> Of particular interest to me is making ubuntu easy enough that someone
> without much computer experience, and zero linux experience can
> install it to run as well or better than windows. Ie. People like my
> old man landlord, who love computers for internet, email, etc but have
> no clue how they work or how to install anything.

I have thought about tailoring a gnome desktop on the ubuntu, to be
especially compatible with windows point and click look & feel, which I
have been asked to by many people to whom I have installed Ubutntu. This
seems like a rather good way to even widen more the spread of Ubuntu so
far.

Let me know what you think,

  Sivan
  Ubuntu Documentation Team