Ubuntu bug reporting (reportbug, dpkg origins)

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Mon Nov 1 12:40:17 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 10:29:04AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 05:54:07PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 09:23:25AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > That would create work for us, since it's an additional modified file to
> > > merge, and one which changes rather often.  Perhaps we need a different way
> > > to set the origin, such as a debian/origin file, which is more easily
> > > automated and merged.
> >
> > That would require modifying all packages rather than just a selection,
> > which is a significantly more serious task than what we've undertaken so
> > far. I would not like to see it undertaken lightly when other
> > alternatives are available.
> This would only apply to packages that we've already modified.

Ah, that sounds more reasonable. (Although I'm not sure I understand
that distinction. It's entirely possible for an Ubuntu change in, say, a
library to result in a bug manifesting in a different Ubuntu package
that we didn't modify.)

Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]