Ubuntu bug reporting (reportbug, dpkg origins)

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Mon Nov 1 11:54:07 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 09:23:25AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 09:38:50AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > I would prefer to have that field in all ubuntu-modified package. That
> > way at some point in the future we can use the Origin field instead of
> > the archive location to distinguish between package versions.
>
> That would create work for us, since it's an additional modified file to
> merge, and one which changes rather often.  Perhaps we need a different way
> to set the origin, such as a debian/origin file, which is more easily
> automated and merged.

That would require modifying all packages rather than just a selection,
which is a significantly more serious task than what we've undertaken so
far. I would not like to see it undertaken lightly when other
alternatives are available.

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]