Xorg doesn't configure monitor as does XFree86 Re: problem with nvidia 1.0-6629 driver and Riva TNT2 card on hoary

Ernesto Domato edomat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 00:43:15 CST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:24:28 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 03:05:02AM -0300, Ernesto Domato wrote:
> > Now I'm using the xorg on hoary with the vesa driver so I suggest to make
> > use with that driver instead of the nvidia driver till I can tell you if
> > 6111 works well and then use that driver in the case of a Riva TNT2 card.
>
> You might also try the nv driver; it should perform better than the vesa
> driver.

Well, I did try to use the driver but it just let me use a resolution
of 640x480 when vesa driver let me use 1024x768 as that was the
resolution that I was using before. This was because of sync frequency
of my monitor was supposed to be out of range for the resolutions that
I wanted.

Well, I finally realize that xorg debconf configuration doesn't let
you configure the monitor as it does the debconf of xfree86 so the
HorizSync and VertRefresh of the Monitor section on the xorg.conf file
are gone. I copy those lines from my old xfree86 conf file and it
worked as expected.

So, I think that xorg debconf file should include the monitor question
part from xfree86. It's late right now here and I'm going to sleep now
but I'll try to do that when I wake up (if my work let me some free
time at the morning) and will send you a patch as soon as posible if
you want to and think that it should be included on the xorg package.

Greettings.
Ernesto