morning thoughts on firewall

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Dec 23 20:43:50 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 01:22:23AM +0100, Dag Rune Sneeggen wrote:

> I've found guarddog to be a brilliant and mature software firewall.
> It's an IPTables front end, with excellent user-friendliness.
> Manually setting up your firewall is the best way for an experienced user,
> but newbies still like to have a point 'n click option. Of which I feel
> that Guarddog is at a level of its own.
> Try it out!
>
> I feel it could be included with the Install CD. Easily!

I tried it out.  Here are some of the issues I found with it:

- It uses the KDE stack, which:
  - Would occupy a lot of space on the CD
  - Would occupy a lot of space on the system
  - Doesn't integrate well with the existing desktop

- I found the UI to be more complex than a typical user needs (most users
  don't need multiple "zones", for example)

I've created a wiki page:

https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FireWall

to document the requirements and ideas around firewall inclusion in Ubuntu.

--
 - mdz