New mailing list/section of website proposal for Unsupported Software

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Dec 18 02:56:22 CST 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 01:27:30AM -0500, thully at umich.edu wrote:
>Is this mailing list idea I proposed a possibility?  Does anyone have
>an opinion on this?

I believe it's an excellent idea. But then my opinion doesn't carry
enough weight to make it so.

>Also - about the bug reporting - in my experience many problems
>w/universe and multiverse packages are specific to Ubuntu, and not
>found in Debian.  Also, if I reported it to Debian, they wouldn't be
>happy that I'm reporting a bug from a different, non-Debian
>distribution, and they would want me to test it on standard Debian.  As
>I don't use any standard Debian installs currently, this wouldn't be
>trivial.  Because of these reasons, I think directing universe bugs to
>Debian is the wrong solution.

Excellent point to introduce some unofficial (i.e. community based)
support. One thing that has to be sorted out though is how I, as a
non-maintainer, can help in this besides replying to emails. Can I fix
problems in packages and upload them somewhere?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

     -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.