Run DHCP in background?

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Fri Dec 17 07:19:56 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 03:54 -0800, Karl Hegbloom wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 08:56 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > The problem with asynchronous hardware detection is that you can no
> > longer guarantee hardware is available at any particular point in the
> > boot process.
> >
> > e.g. the mouse driver being loaded before X starts.
>
> This is why we need a dependency-based boot process.  It could work
> something like a Makefile or the d-i menu sorting system.

It wouldn't actually solve this particular case ... making X depend on a
mouse would shoot those people without mice in the foot, as X would
never start because the mouse driver never got loaded/

> How to manage output?  Perhaps each thing should be assigned a section
> of screen to print it's output in?  :-)

Or just don't output anything but the problems.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant           The Mataró Sessions, Ubuntu Conference #2
scott at canonical.com            Mataró, Spain -- December 6th-17th 2004