Removal of postfix from base

Thom May thom at canonical.com
Thu Dec 16 06:31:08 CST 2004

* Scott James Remnant (scott at canonical.com) wrote :
> I would like to propose the removal of Postfix from base for hoary.

Agree 100% - it should move to supported.

> In base, I suggest we aim for the simplest possible MDA.
>
>  1) not a daemon, provides only /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
>  2) delivers mail locally

I think we don't want to consider 3 or 4 just yet - they're not required for
the simple desktop case and make life harder.
In future, connecting to a smarthost and punting mail might be a reasonable
move, but I think we want to think very hard about exactly where we draw the
line between our dmta (desktop mta) and a full-fledged one.
Cheers,
-Thom