Request for testing new libc6 for language packs

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Mon Dec 13 05:49:40 CST 2004

Hi guys!

In the course of preparing language pack support for Ubuntu, I
prepared a new glibc version which supports an alternative gettext
tree in /usr/share/locale-langpack/ (in addition to the usual
/usr/share/locale/) and uses whichever file is newer.

If /usr/share/locale-langpack is not present, the new glibc should
behave exactly as the old one. For testing I attached a mocked up
coreutils.mo gettext file which contains the German translation of
coreutils plus a modified string in the "head" help.

I ask you to do the following:

1. Install the new glibc.

  deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/langpack/  /
  deb-src http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/langpack/  /

  (Right now there are packages for i386 and powerpc)

2. Check whether your system still works :-)

3. Install the mock coreutils translation:

  wget http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/langpack/coreutils.po
  sudo install -D coreutils.po /usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/coreutils.po

4. The following command should give the normal english head help:

  LANGUAGE=en_US head --help

  (basically any language other than en_GB should work normally)

5. The following command should give German help with the changed
   string "If you can read this, the gettext file in
   /usr/share/locale-langpack is used and the new libintl works.":

  LANGUAGE=en_GB head --help

6. You can play around with copying the new file also to
   /usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/coreutils.po (it does not exist
   yet), modifying it (using msgunfmt -- edit -- msgfmt), and touching
   them to make one file more recent than the other (which selects
   which one is actually used).

Unless somebody reports a serious breakage (or gettext file selection
does not work), I will upload this at Wednesday. Then we can start to
upload language packs and rebuild the archive to not ship files in
/usr/share/locale by default.

Thanks,

Martin

--