Ubuntu blues

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Dec 12 12:08:06 CST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 12:20:56PM -0500, nuopus wrote:

> Well ... what I have found is that if you say YES to downloading
> software from the internet it will end up downloading 100+ packages. If
> you say NO to downloading software then it will install everything from
> the CDs. If you enable the repositories THEN do an update it does not
> download nearly as many updates ... which leads me to believe that ALL
> of the packages .. X, GNOME and the apps are downloaded from the
> Internet instead of actually using the ones from the CD.

That should not be the case; it will only download packages from the
Internet which are not available on the CD (i.e., newer versions).  In
Warty, this means that only security updates will be retrieved.

Note that a security update has been made to X, so that part is normal, and
you need to download X in order to apply the security update.

If you can demonstrate that this is not happening as expected, then it
indicates a bug, and I would like to hear details about it.

> It is much faster to say NO to download from the Internet then update
> from the net later than to say YES to download and get them all updated
> at once. Tried this numerous times.

It should get your system up and running faster (since the installation
completes faster), but overall it is slower (since you need to install
several large packages twice, rather than once).

--
 - mdz