Mutt and UTF8

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Dec 11 01:41:51 CST 2004

I am wondering whether my recent problems with Mutt may have anything to
do with the fact that I switched my hoary system to use UTF8 (as was
suggested in Ubuntu Traffic). I get an obscene amount of spam that's
written in other encodings (Chinese? Japanese?), and Mutt used to
happily show them, I couldn't read a single word, but still they were
shown. After the switch it seems Mutt has more problems with those
mails--the list view gets screwed up when highlighting mails forcing me
to use ^L a whole lot to clear things up. Once I've deleted all
unreadable spam Mutt works as perfect as ever.

Anyone seeing similar behaviour? (Or am I the only one who favours good
old Mutt over all the graphical mail readers out there?)

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to
sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets and steal bread.
     -- Anatole France