LaptopSupportAndPowerManagement

thully at umich.edu thully at umich.edu
Wed Dec 8 23:02:16 CST 2004

I currently have a laptop, and I suspend quite a bit (actually,  I use
software suspend most of the time since my laptop's suspend-to-RAM
using ACPI takes 10% of my power per hour).  My opinion on these issues is:
1) I think that closing the lid on AC power should just blank the screen, but
I also think that it would be a good idea to suspend the system if it is
unplugged in this state (with the lid closed).  If this is impossible I would
prefer the system just suspends when the lid is closed, as often I close the
lid and then unplug the system when I'm going somewhere with my laptop.
2) I don't like locking the system on suspend by default.  It is sure annoying
to have to enter the user password again if I close the lid for 10 minutes.
The goal of suspend is to put your computer in a low power state which allows
you to start it back up in minimal time - locking the screen makes resume more
tedious and long and hinders the advantage of suspend.