Idea for expanded support of some non-free software

Christian Bjälevik nafallo at magicalforest.se
Wed Dec 8 18:07:51 CST 2004

thully at umich.edu wrote:
<snip>
> For example - Although Macromedia's player can be downloaded from multiverse of
> automatically in Firefox, currently there are bugs in Hoary that cause Flash
> sound not to work when Gnome sound server is on.  I've reported this and there
> does not seem to be much interest in fixing the bug - as it involves non-free
> software.  This does not make me very happy, as usability seems to be
> unnecessarily taking a back seat to issues of licensing in this case.
Where have you reported this bug? Seems to me the place to do it should
be upstream?

<snip>
> Because of all this, Ubuntu should offer support for non-free formats when
> legally possible and when it greatly improves the user experience.  This seems
> like a similar situation to the one that led Ubuntu to include non-free drivers
> for hardware.
They are already doing just that. Go check though the wiki again. You
might find some answers there. If you want to get mp3, mpeg, divx, xvid
and flash into Ubuntu; go get yourself a lawyersexam and start smashing
companies in courtrooms.

Sincererly
--
Christian     .-.    Bjälevik