Suggestion: make control-alt-delete bring up system monitor by default

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:30:34 CST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 01:05:25 +0100, Michael Banck <mbanck at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi and sorry for being late,
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 01:47:43PM +0100, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> > I know, and you can also bind ctrl-alt-delete to whatever you want in
> > gnome.  That's not the point.  The point is that you want to have a
> > sane default.  Having ctrl-alt-delete reboot when not in X but do
> > something else in X is not sane.
>
> Seriously, I think it is impossible to achieve consistency between text
> mode and X, and I do not think it is worthwhile to strive for this.

At the risk of stating something blasphemous:

Window's implemention of ctrl-alt-del is good. ctrl-alt-del brings up
task manager/shutdown/logout/restart (varies slightly by version) and
a second ctrl-alt-del reboots the computer. This stays consistent with
the Windows world and offers a useful service to Linux.

IIRC YellowDogLinux does this (ctrl-alt-del brings up logout screen)
(of course, on Mac PPC the _hard_ reboot of a computer is
command-ctrl-power).

> Whoever uses text mode these days should be considered somebody who
> knows what they're doing.

Yup.