Creating audio CDs in Hoary.

Lex Hider alexeijh at westnet.com.au
Mon Dec 6 18:24:52 CST 2004

I'm sure I'm not Robinson Crusoe in wanting a GUI solution for creating
and copying audio CDs in Ubuntu. What are the plans for supporting this
in Hoary [if not Hoary, Hoary+1,2, etc].

After a quick search through ubuntu-devel & ubuntu-users there doesn't
appear to be any serious discussion outside of pointing out that
nautilus doesn't do audio CDs and that k3b from universe is a nice app.

There doesn't appear to be any GUI audio CD burner apps included at:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/seeds/
But coaster has been proposed for the desktop at point p:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DesktopSeedProposals

First I'd like to point out that I'm not informed on Gnome's plans for
audio CD creation so this might be a good thread to inform people with
my level of knowledge on what it is.

As I see it there are 3 main options:

(1) Do nothing.
(2) Include k3b in desktop seed.
(3) Include a gtk/gnome app that will create audio CDs.

Thoughts
========
(1) I assume it's not an acceptable solution.

(2) I assume that the Ubuntu developers don't want to pull in the
various KDE libraries.
[k3b does appear to be a nice app, does not using it amount to
reinventing the wheel unnecessarily?].

(3) Let's assume that this is the path that will be taken.

What are the gtk/gnome options?
Is coaster a viable solution and is it mature enough?
Can/will audio CD burning capabilities be added to nautilus and/or
rhythmbox.
Are there other apps I'm not aware of.

Lex.