gnome / xserver restart

gilligan tobias.pflug at gmx.net
Sun Dec 5 18:00:26 CST 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 23:37 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, December 5, 2004 19:31, gilligan said:
> > try out some things. An Option to restart X would have been nice.
> > Instead i had to kill X each time and I was presented by some info
> > dialog "Seems like X does not work etc.." When chosing to get the error
>
> IMHO an extra option to just restart X isn't worth it, you can hit
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace without getting any errors, or run:
>
> /etc/init.d/gdm restart

I should have thought of /etc/init.d/gdm restart

But ctr-alt-backspace will not shut down gnome properly as i mentioned
in my previous posting.. i could not get in a clean state that way.
some gnome processes just would not start again..
Could be this is just the result of someone traveling through space with the improbability drive
enabled but well it did happen here at least :)

And while i am at it - what about "login to console" ?

Both of these options are no super cool feature in any sense but might
just be handy for some users now and then and would take 0 effort to be
implemented anyway.

-Tobi