How does Ubuntu have such great fonts?

thully at umich.edu thully at umich.edu
Sat Dec 4 22:50:10 CST 2004

When I installed Ubuntu, I was amazed by the quality of the out-of-box fonts
(better than Windows).  Hoary makes the fonts even better out of the box.
I'm curious how Ubuntu sets up the fonts to look so good, and what it uses to
render them.

When I use Debian, my fonts aren't as good and sometimes they have a
weird multicolored appearance to them.  Does Ubuntu do anything special to
determing what type of rendering to use? Can this same type of rendering be
used on KDE?  Are different settings used for LCD/CRT, or for laptop/desktop?

P.S. I use a laptop - IBM ThinkPad T42, so I have an LCD screen.