slimming down default install?

gilligan tobias.pflug at gmx.net
Sat Dec 4 15:34:23 CST 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 19:55 +0000, Martin Alderson wrote:
> I notice that emacs, vim and pico/nano are installed by default.
> Surely the point of Ubuntu is to offer a flexible, feature complete
> 'base' and work on top of it. I highly commend you for having only one
> web browser, one office suite, one video player, one audio player -
> not the 4 of each that most other distros ship with.
>
> I would suggest keeping pico (because it's the smallest) and get rid
> of emacs and vim. Those two take up around 20MB in my estimation,
> which is a lot of space that could be used for something else.

It's not like am in any position to decide anything, in fact this is my
very first post to this mailinglist ( hi there! )
But if I *had* anything to say my response was probably something like
"over my dead body" :)
but seriously - any distrib should really have vim installed my
default.And i guess most do anyway.

As for "slim"/"bloated" argumentation in general:
With  hdd prices dropping to $80 for 160gig 20mb +/- prolly dont matter
much as long as the software is not completely obscure and you can keep
the users happy because after installation they have what they need.

Someone who wants a super slim/"raw" linux installation should stay away
from distributions like ubuntu and the alike anyway..