Kernel security update would break ABI

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 19:22:49 CST 2004

> An ABI change has the following consequences:
>
>  - It breaks compatibility with user-installed modules, which is the
>    actual headache.
>
>  2. Bump the version number, which renders all user-added modules
>     unloadable. They have to be recompiled against the new kernel to
>     work again.

bring back memories from when I had a machine using Fedora Core 1.  Some 3rd
parties repository had dozen of kernel modules available to download.
And every time there was a new kernel security update, they had to
quickly recompile all there publicly available module.  Last
December/January, there was 4 kernel update in 3 weeks, and here is
what Dag Wieers had to say about that pain for module maintainers:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg03059.html

It's a pain, but I think it's probably the only way to go; and it
seems the Redhat/Fedora users have been dealing with it for a while (I
guess it's still the same nowadays)