Proposed panel menu structure for hoary

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Fri Dec 3 16:52:38 CST 2004

<quote who="George Farris">

> Why do you have to manually edit each users .gtk-bookmarks file?  Here is
> what I would do:  Have a file called /etc/gtk-bookmarks and copy or merge
> that to each users ~/.gtk-bookmarks file automatically during the login
> process.

This is the vfolder problem: What happens if I delete one of the 'system
provided' bookmarks? Now, there's no problem doing this on your own system
if you want to enforce those entries, but it is not a great general
solution. If these bookmarks were found in GConf, you could set mandatory or
default settings, rather than mucking around with dotfile merging (which
won't let the user make changes that will stick).

This is the reason behind why the GNOME menus have been a horror to modify;
there's a complicated vfolder system behind them that has to take all this
kind of mess into account.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

         "Applications are just kernel testcases." - Andrew Morton