gnome-user-share (apache) and open ports

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Dec 3 11:49:12 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:41:13AM -0600, Santiago Erquicia wrote:

> The original idea of not having a firewall was that there were no open
> ports by default and if anyone wanted to install apache, for example,
> he/she had the necessary expertise to protect the system.

The original idea of not having a firewall was that there wasn't a clear
best-of-breed solution appropriate for Ubuntu.  The policy of having no open
ports by default would exist regardless.

> Now, with gnome-user-share, we are going to end up with apache installed
> (by default?) but usually this is going to be used by "normal people"
> without knowledge for protecting the system.
>
> How is this going to done?

The listening policy still stands; if the user wants to share out their
files, they will need to explicitly enable it.

--
 - mdz