MP3/DVD legallity (was: Some observations)

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Thu Dec 2 08:40:35 CST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:

Hello Dmitriy,

> refusal to accommodate basic user needs (such as MP3 and DVD playback)

It is *illegal* to provide MP3, decss and MPEG-2 out of the box.
That is the reason that Ubuntu do not do it.

If you live in a part of the world where that is not the case;  or you wish
to 'break the law' yourself, Ubuntu provide you the information:

  http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/RestrictedFormats

But that decision is up to you.  The obstacles that makes this software
illegal are the country-specific equivalents of:

  1.  DMCA
  2.  Software-patents

If you want like to change the law, please read:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3#Licensing_and_patent_issues

If we work together, we might even get these laws changed in time for Hoary!

	-Paul  ;-)
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB