Savage Drivers

Lorenzo E. Danielsson lorenzo at aponkye.com
Wed Dec 1 06:24:39 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 00:07 +0100, Eric Feliksik wrote:
> Lorenzo E. Danielsson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've got a ThinkPad T23, with a savage-chip of some sort (HAL Device
> > Manager says SuperSavage IX/C SDR). There is a Savage DRI driver that is
> > supposed to work with Xorg, although I've heard it may be a little
> > buggy. Does anybody know what the current status is, and if/when we may
> > see this in Ubuntu? I'm running Hoary, so if there is some experimental
> > package out there I don't mind toying around with it..
> >
> > ++Lorenzo;
> >

> If everything's alright Ubuntu detected your driver automatically. It's
> called "savage", and it's only suitable for 2d.

Yes, that has never been a problem for me.

> If you want 3d acceleration as well, you need the DRI drivers, which are
> in development, but work for me. See:
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdri and
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/

Those were the ones I was curious about.

> But it looks like the snapshots are not available. You can get them from
> cvs or have some patience.

I tried that several times when I was running Gentoo. I *never* got the
damn thing to work. Even when I was able to get everything to compile, I
noticed no difference in performance. I checked the Xorg logs, and lo
and behold it wasn't using the DRI drivers. I know I did something wrong
somewhere, but I tried over and over again, following instructions, both
from the DRI wiki and Gentoo's Savage DRI howto. I still don't know
exactly what I did wrong.

These days I actually have to use my laptop for boring things (like
work) and that's one of the reasons why I gave up on Gentoo. I need a
reasonably stable system (like Hoary). I'm trying hard to not start
introducing to many foreign elements but relying purely on Ubuntu
packages. So if there is a Ubuntu package (even experimental) that
includes the Savage DRI driver, I will be happy to test it, at least if
it's had *some* testing already. But I don't really feel like pulling
from CVS right now. We'll see what happens in the evening ;-)

> Not that you have to run a cpu-optimized kernel (so not the default
> i386) and a link "build" in /lib/modules/your_optimized_kernel/ that
> points to the source of your kernel in /usr/src/your_source.

That is not a problem. The default kernel was the first thing to go
after installing Ubuntu.

> Good luck.

Thanks. I think I'll need it :-)