panel layout changes and new upstream gnome-panel ... what to do ?

Peter Damoc pdamoc at gmx.net
Wed Dec 1 06:11:56 CST 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:28:55 +0100, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The GNOME upstreams have just made some big changes to the gnome-panel.
> They have switched from the crappy vfolder system to the new gnome-menus
> module (which is an implementation of the freedesktop specifications).
> In the same time the vfolder code has been dropped from gnomevfs.
>
> The issue now is that the "computer menu" patch was using the vfolder
> system and need to be rewritten. In the same time some GNOME 2.9.2
> modules require the new gnome-vfs2 2.9.1 and are holded (pushing the new
> gnome-vfs2 = removing the vfolder code = pushing a new panel ...)
>
> So we have basically two options:
> - go ahead, upload all the new GNOME modules now and switch back to a
> "standard" panel layout for some time (time to rewrite the panel
> changes).
> - hold the GNOME updates the time to get the new patch ready.
>
> BTW If we want to make changes to the gnome-panel layout for hoary (ie:
> adding a "places" menu) that's probably the right moment ...
>
> So, what do you think about that ?

There should be an agreed uppon reaction for this kind of things.

- Project X is used by Ubuntu
- Ubuntu has parallel patches to Project X
- Project X changes so that the patches need to change.

What to do?
1. use Project X new version and hack it so that it uses old patches
2. postpone the update till new Ubuntu patches become available

I see 1. as a potential trouble maker and would prefer 2. I don't need the cutting edge to be THAT sharp ;)
Some might interpret this as a
Gnome uses Ubuntu (1) vs. Ubuntu uses Gnome (2)

I for one welcome our Ubuntu Overlords :o)

--
Peter Damoc
Hacker Wannabe