Choice of the openssl version for 23.10 and 24.04

Adrien Nader adrien at notk.org
Fri Dec 15 17:20:56 UTC 2023

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023, Seth Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2023 at 10:28:02AM +0100, Adrien Nader wrote:
> > We talked about creating a new "openssl" package that is whatever the
> > most recent version is (in universe, and probably with no ESM-guarantee
>
> Would this hypothetical package be strictly upstream OpenSSL, or would we
> make it match our Opinionated View on OpenSSL? (Or, another way: Would it
> support ancient protocols like SSLv2 so that scanner tools could use it?)
>
> Or, another another way: What problem is this going to solve?

It would have been similar to something that would go into Debian's
experimental: newer and upcoming versions and changes.

The problems that would be solved would have been the ones caused by
being unable to upgrade to a newer openssl version basically. But the
reasons this has not materialized are not technical.

--
Adrien