Third party patch licensing

Athos Ribeiro athos.ribeiro at canonical.com
Wed May 25 17:59:16 UTC 2022

Hi,

I am facing a licensing issue with a patch to fix a (possible? [1]) CVE
in the rainloop package.

A security issue has been reported upstream [2], but there were no
replies from the upstream project yet.

The reporter followed up by describing the security issue in a blog post
[3], which also contains a patch to fix the issue.

I contacted the patch author to wonder how we could re-distribute the
patch (see the discussion in [2]). They agreed to license it with the
upstream project's license (AGPLv3), and I suggested the approach
described in [4].

Since IANAL, I decided to ask devel-discuss if there's a better approach
for licensing this patch or if this should be enough to include it as a
delta. Note that this was submitted to Debian in [5], where I did
raise this same concern.

[1] CVE-2022-29360 has not been published in MITRE's DB nor in cve.org
yet.
[2] https://github.com/RainLoop/rainloop-webmail/issues/2142
[3] https://blog.sonarsource.com/rainloop-emails-at-risk-due-to-code-flaw/
[4] https://github.com/RainLoop/rainloop-webmail/issues/2142#issuecomment-1137592507