possible bug in udev?

Martin Renwanz martin at renwanz.de
Tue Sep 14 14:07:33 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I stumbled recently over an interesting issue. I have an external
bluray-drive, connected via usb. I have 20.04.3 LTS running, with latest
patches applied.
Now, whenever I open the cd-tray with the button, the tray opens, the
activity LED starts blinking fast, and I am unable to close the tray, as
it is ejected immediately after closing it.

I hooked myself with udevadm monitor -u, and noticed an endless loop of
events coming in. The only way to stop this is to disconnected the drive.

I was able to fix this (although creating another problem) by copying
and modifying /lib/udev/rules.d/60-cdrom_id.rules - after removing the
RUN+= part from the line which handles the cd eject, the problem was
gone. (and udevadm did not show an endless loop of event when the eject
button is pressed!)

I posted my problem (and the solution) on a stackexchange site, if
anyone cares for further details.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/668928/unable-to-close-cd-tray

My question is: my "fix" obviously is only a workaround, I have not been
able to find the root cause. Is this a bug inside ubuntu / systemd, or
did I make a mistake somewhere ?

Best Regards,
Martin Renwanz