Release vmlinuz and initrd alongside iso

MonkZ i+ubuntu-devel-discuss at monkz.de
Thu Nov 11 07:47:13 UTC 2021

On 10.11.21 11:36, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 2:51 AM Michael Hudson-Doyle
> <michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 at 02:19, MonkZ <i+ubuntu-devel-discuss at monkz.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> currently enabling booting via ipxe (https://ipxe.org/) over http needs
>>> a dedicated mirror that has vmlinuz and initrd extracted from the iso.
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to release those files - already extracted from the
>>> iso - alongside those very isos?
>>
>> This is something we should do, yes. I've created an internal ticket to look into it (after failing to find the one I was *sure* already existed) -- I personally am not very familiar with the relevant bits and pieces.
> Wasn't that in the past already available and discoverable through
> simplestreams for MAAS doing PXE boots?
> Here an old example what I remember
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server-bugs/2015-October/137272.html
>
> IIRC this isn't used exactly the same way nowadays, but the following
> still discovers me a set of kernels and can be further restricted as
> needed:
>
> sstream-query http://images.maas.io/ephemeral-v3/stable/streams/v1/com.ubuntu.maas:stable:v3:download.json
> kflavor=generic ftype=boot-kernel release=focal arch=amd64
> sstream-query http://images.maas.io/ephemeral-v3/stable/streams/v1/com.ubuntu.maas:stable:v3:download.json
> kflavor=generic ftype=boot-initrd release=focal arch=amd64
>
> The Maas team might have better info how to (or why you should not)
> use those nowadays.
If this functionality exists through simplestreams, there should be a
note/documentation in the (cdimage) mirror page to the respective paths
in simplestreams to get those files via curl/wget  - as those are on
most[1] distributions / busyboxes, and most[2] users might look on the
releases/cdimages.ubuntu.com domains first. So the work does not have to
be done twice, as it is already hosted somewhere else.

With all due respect to MAAS - I will have to stick to plain ipxe at the
moment.

Regards

MonkZ[3]

[1] Just guessing - I've no actual numbers

[2] Still guessing - I've no actual numbers

[2] Person, that reads up on simplestreams now to try to use it with
ipxe. (Pointers/Hints are welcome ;) )