autoinstall question

Jerry Geis jerry.geis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 01:39:37 UTC 2021

This document :

The obvious data file we have to add to the ISO is our autoconfigure file.
However, it has to be set up in a directory for itself and a companion
file, and each has to be called special names. Let's say that the directory
within the ISO that we're going to use for this is called /cslab/inst. Then
our autoinstall configuration file must be called /cslab/inst/user-data,
and we need an empty /cslab/inst/meta-data file beside it. At install time,
the path to this directory is /cdrom/cslab/inst, because the ISO is mounted
on /cdrom.

(I put our configuration in a subdirectory here because we put additional
bootstrap files under /cslab that are copied onto the system as part of the
autoinstall.)

The isolinux configuration file we need to modify in the ISO is
/isolinux/txt.cfg. We want to modify the kernel command line to add a new
argument, 'ds=nocloud;s=/cdrom/cslab/inst/'. So:

default live
label live
  menu label ^Install Ubuntu Server
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append   initrd=/casper/initrd quiet ds=nocloud;s=/cdrom/cslab/inst/ ---

gives a PATH to /cdrom/cslab/inst and the file "has" to be named user-data
(in this example).... WHY?  how do I support Multiple selections on the
txt.cfg file

I am not getting "nothing" happening for autoinstall.   I need more than
one file not just user-data.  How do  I do that?

My file is placed at /cdrom/autoinstall_mediacontroller_ubutu20.yaml
my txt.cfg file is :
label LSI-M
  menu label ^Install Ubuntu MediaController 20.04 LSI AutoInstall
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  initrd=/casper/initrd debian-installer/local=en_US autoinstall
ds=nocloud;s=/cdrom/autoinstall_mediacontroller_ubuntu20.yaml quiet splash
biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ---

I get the boot menu - I select my item - nothing auto install happens - it
just boots to the normal stuff. I based off of live-server-20.04

Thanks,

Jerry