pam 1.1.8-3.6ubuntu2.18.04.2 packaging issue

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Mon Sep 7 10:51:47 UTC 2020

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 06:39, Arnold Czeman (aczeman) <
Arnold.Czeman at oneidentity.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a little problem with the newest version of pam source package on
> Bionic.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/1.1.8-3.6ubuntu2.18.04.2/
> I would like to import to a git repo with gbp tool, but this package seems
> to have
> a wrong a package format.
> The earlier version of this package were non-native debian packages, they
> had extra
> archives which name match a *.diff.gz or a *.debian.tar.* pattern. They
> had
> two component version string (where a '-' concatenates the upstream
> version and the
> debian version).

Right, the package should be non-native. But for some reason it is. All
versions in bionic since release have been native though.

> The current version of this pam package has no extra archives, so it seems
> to be a
> native debian package, but it cannot be native package because it has a
> wrong version
> string format for this package format.
> I have found a description of the debian source package formats here:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What_is_the_difference_between_a_native_Debian_package_and_a_non-native_package.3F
> I have also checked the gbp tool source code, and it seems to be a
> compatible one with
> this description.
>
> Could you please make a correct version string if you want this will be a
> native package, otherwise
> please generate a *.diff.gz or a *.debian.tar.* archive, just like an
> older version of this
> package!

It's back to non-native in focal and groovy. It might make sense to fix it
to be non-native in the next SRU, but it doesn't seem worth performing a
SRU just for this to me.

Cheers,
mwh