[Pkg-openssl-devel] Build commands of official openssl package on Ubuntu 18.04

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Wed Mar 18 12:01:27 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:03:42AM +0000, Dat Le wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, I'm sorry if not. I just see this email as the maintainer contact of official openssl package on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> My issue:
> I am investigate openssl to apply it to encrypt some large files. I want to be able to compile openssl from source (https://github.com/openssl/openssl), since I need to add some debug log and some time-measurement code to observe the performance.
> I start to build compile with the original source at tag "OpenSSL_1_1_1" follow this instruction: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-openssl-from-source-on-linux/
>
> But when I run some encrypt demo with the new-build openssl, the time consumes to encrypt is somehow bigger than the one with the official openssl package installed by "apt install openssl".
> I guess that the options of "./config" command are different between 2 openssl builds.

The config options we use in Debian are: no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5 no-zlib no-ssl3 enable-unit-test no-ssl3-method enable-rfc3779 enable-cms enable-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128

I assume they are the same in Ubuntu.

Only the last one (enable-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128) can have a
performance difference, but not to encrypt something, it's related
to NIST EC curves.

The other difference is that we use -O2 instead of -O3. I doubt it
will have an effect. But if you want to try it, just add -O2 to
the options.

There really isn't any reason why encryption should not have the
same performance.

I suggest that you verify which shared library you use using ldd,
that you pick up the correct version.

Kurt