rkhunter installation error on linux mint 20 / ubuntu 20.04

Edward Freeman eddjasfreeman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 10:32:57 UTC 2020

rkhunter threw up an installation error rather like this one:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=773974.

The error messages I received were:
Invalid SCRIPTWHITELIST configuration option: Non-existent pathname:
/usr/bin/egrep
Invalid SCRIPTWHITELIST configuration option: Non-existent pathname:
/usr/bin/fgrep

A check of current rkhunter.conf files from two installations of other
linux OSs showed that the offending line in debian bug 773974,
SCRIPTWHITELIST=/usr/bin/lwp-request, which provoked the error response Invalid
SCRIPTWHITELIST configuration option: Non-existent pathname:
/usr/bin/lwp-request, remained commented out.

A comparison of the rkhunter.conf file for the new linux mint 20 with the
same file for the other two functioning installations on my main PC
revealed that the paths /usr/bin/egrep, usr/bin/fgrep and usr/bin/which
were /bin/egrep, /bin/fgrep and /bin/which. Amending those three /usr/bin/
lines to /bin/ in my Linux 20 installation allowed the rkhunter package to
reinstall correctly.

I'm enjoying the mint 20 release so far.

Ed Freeman

[image: cloudHQ]
<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/free-email-tracker/nknojfclnachdkpdkjbbhbkgpnladhnj>
Powered