Question: Why is the "input source"-shortcut fixed?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 30 23:35:58 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-20 08:42, notebook wrote:
> The hint says "These keyboard shortcuts can be changed in the
> keyboard settings". However, if I search for "keyboard settings" (all
> applications -> type), Ubuntu does not find anything. I'd say that's
> a "dead hint"? It should actually say "can be changed under Keyboard
>  shortcuts".

Yep, that would be better.

> If a non-technical then opens "Keyboard shortcuts" they get a huge
> list of which 99% is not interesting. If they are unlucky, they don't
> see the magnifier in the top right and start reading every entry.
>
> I need to change my question:
> - Is there a specific reason, why the shortcut cannot be changed
> in-place (= at the location, where the setting is shown)?
> and / or
> - Is there a specific reason, why the help text does not appear as a
> link and jumps right into the "keyboard shortcuts" with the two
> options preselected?

The issue is upstream in nature. Please report it upstream if you want
to propose a change:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues

And an advice for the case you do so: Don't ask for "a specific reason".
Just describe the change(s) you would like to see.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj