Update qemu

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Jan 6 07:40:14 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Daniel Llewellyn <diddledan at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 at 15:23, Chaython Meredith <chaythonm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why has qemu not been updated?
>> 4.2 out now. 4.1 since November.

Hi,
we knew we wanted to go to 4.2 for 20.04
Extra merges of interim versions are quite some work without much gain and
in addition 4.1 had some issues discussed in regard to block handling that
I didn't want to trigger.

Furthermore history has told us that merging qemu along the libvirt release
that follows it (containing fixups as needed) is the best approach to not
leave the current dev version of Ubuntu in a bad state.
That would be libvirt 6.0 which isn't released yet and therefore holding
things back a bit (plus the actual time to do the merge work and plenty of
testing).

> Stable releases of Ubuntu maintain packages in the repositories for
> security-patches only; bumping versions beyond this is not a standard modus
> operandi. To bump the versions in stable releases we follow the Stable
> Release Updates documentation and rules:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates. You will need to justify
> why QEMU should be version bumped from 4.1 to 4.2 in the currently
> available Ubuntu releases. If 4.2 is available in Debian Unstable then
> Ubuntu 20.04 will include that version, or a later version if it arrives
> before the repository sync, when it is released in April.
>
> Dan.

Christian Ehrhardt
Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd