PT-BR translation

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 15 07:30:12 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-14 22:16, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 09:13:48PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 12:54:07PM -0400, Kinder wrote:
>>> How do I contribute to the ubuntu PT-BR translation? preferably
>>> the command "man"?
>>
>> Speaking as the upstream maintainer of man, the most
>> long-term-effective way to do this is to work with the Translation
>> Project and thus contribute the translations upstream
>> (https://translationproject.org/html/welcome.html).  This work will
>> be shared with other distributions.
>
> Oh, this applies if you're talking about the localisation of the
> "man" command itself or the manual pages that are part of the man-db
> package. It doesn't necessarily apply if you're talking about other
> manual pages that you access using the "man" command.
>
>> The Ubuntu translation system mentioned by Gunnar allows for
>> getting translations into Ubuntu on a shorter timescale, and doing
>> translation work across the whole distribution in one place.  It
>> usually doesn't result in translations being shared with other
>> distributions.
>
> ... and if you're talking about other manual pages that you access
> using the "man" command, I don't think translations of those can in
> general be handled using Ubuntu's normal translation system.  You'd
> need to work with individual upstream projects on that.

I agree on all that, of course.

Just want to clarify that when I refer a potential translator to one of
Ubuntu's translators teams, I assume that the members of the team will
explain how it works. For a big language as pt-br that ought to be a
reasonable assumption...

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj