Xenial Installer missing iwlmvm.ko wireless module

Pedro Principeza pedro.principeza at canonical.com
Mon Oct 7 18:50:51 UTC 2019

Hi there!

A customer opened a Case [1] with us in STS, stating they were not able to
use the wireless adapter on a Zotac box to proceed with the installation of
Xenial Server -- no wlanX/wlpXXX interfaces are created, although the
iwlwifi module properly binds to the hardware, as seen in here:

[    2.314279] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: loaded firmware version
29.1044073957.0 op_mode iwlmvm

Turned out, after some digging, that a "submodule" iwlwifi would use
(iwlmvm.ko) for that wireless adapter model ([8086:3165] / sub [8086:4010])
isn't available in the initrd of either netboot or the standard Xenial
installer.  Only the iwldvm.ko is there.

Now, I have two questions regarding the availability of such module in the
installer initrd:

.. Is there any reason the iwldwm.ko module was included, and not iwlmvm.ko?
.. If not, how feasible it would be to request that module to be added to
both installer's initrd?  My intention is to avoid having the customer
customize the installer's initrd to include the module.

Please, let me know if you need more context, or if you have any
questions.  Thanks!

[1] https://canonical.my.salesforce.com/5003z00001xn2Kk

--
Pedro Principeza
Technical Support Engineer | Canonical

www.ubuntu.com | Ubuntu support: support.canonical.com
Toll-free to discuss or open a Support case: +1 737 204-0281 (US/Canada)