Ubuntu 19.04 ".desktop" no longer working!?

Thomas Stadtmüller thomas.stadtmueller at gmx.de
Thu May 30 15:30:06 UTC 2019

Dears,

thank you both for all your time invested and great insights.

After your last e-mails I had tried in vain to upgrade to the new "gnome
icon" stuff which are "proposed". Funny enough when today I was just
about to give up, I did run a final command "sudo apt-get clean && sudo
apt-get update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo
apt-get autoremove" only to find to my surprise there was a mentioning
of a new version "19.01.3-1~ubuntu19.04.1" for
"gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons". And... surprise, surprise: with
that new version I can now run again the .desktop files (- while I
haven't tried all but I am pretty confident they do) under Ubuntu 19.04.
- Happy End!

Still quite worrisome, that I seem to be a single person in the Ubuntu
universe who did complain about falling into this "upgrade trap". And
only weeks later and with your help I am now slowly getting out there.

I am gonna have a well-deserved father's-day
<https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/germany/ascension> beer on you -
thank you!

Cheers,

Thomas