Ubuntu 19.04 ".desktop" no longer working!?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Wed May 29 09:46:41 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-29 09:36, Colin Law wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:48, Thomas Stadtmüller
> <thomas.stadtmueller at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Can you confirm Ubuntu 19.04 still supports .desktop files?
>>
>> I have upgraded from Ubuntu 18.10 to 19.04.
>>
>> Now I wonder why there isn't a huge cry out in the community about
>> .desktop files no longer working.
>
> This is a Nautilus issue.  .desktop files still work, but not via
> double click on the Desktop or in a browser window.  Apparently the
> Gnome developers decided this is something we shouldn't do.
> See https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/nautilus-will-no-longer-launch-binaries.html

Even it that's true, it's a bit obsolete info for Ubuntu users. The
description of the gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons package says:

  This package provides a GNOME Shell extension for showing the contents
  of ~/Desktop on the desktop of the Shell. Common file management
  operations such as launching, copy/paste, rename and deleting are
  supported."

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj