how sudo handles $HOME

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Thu May 16 09:10:13 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 01:12:56PM -0400, Dan Streetman wrote:
> in Ubuntu, sudo retains the calling user's $HOME
>
> this is different from upstream sudo as well as all other UNIXes and
> even the sudo documentation we provide.  Should we remove our custom
> patch that adds this behavior?

Does upstream have a position on this question, apart from our
observation of their current default?

For example: what if we changed it back, then someone persuaded upstream
to flip the default? That would cause disruption to our users twice. Can
we ensure, before reverting to their default, that upstream have no
intention of changing it?

Robie