compatibility issue in environment-modules version 4.1.1-1

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sun May 5 20:35:19 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-05 21:38, Josefsson-Ljungdahl wrote:
> Den sön 5 maj 2019 kl 21:26 skrev Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com <mailto:gunnarhj at ubuntu.com>>:
>> Ubuntu does that as well, at least when GDM or LightDM is used. Maybe
>> worth mentioning that the scripts in the Ubuntu versions of those DMs
>> are run as bash processes. (That was changed a few years ago;
>> previously they were run as dash processes.)
>
> OK, that's good but since Ubuntu does have /bin/sh pointing to /bin/dash
> and the initialisation procedure sources scripts with #!/bin/sh it
> doesn't go all the way in this case.

The shebang line is ignored if a file is sourced, isn't it?

 From a quick look at the code in environment-modules I see that it
seems to test for the BASH_VERSION variable. That makes me think of this
change of LightDM:

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~lightdm-team/lightdm/trunk/revision/2168/debian/lightdm-session

which was made in response to:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/1482641

Can this possibly be a reason for the confusion you have observed?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj